Sunday, October 12, 2014
Kobe Paras speechless after accepting UCLA offer; to play in US NCAA
Former La Salle Greenhills standout Kobe Paras could not fully put his feelings into words after it was revealed that he has committed to play collegiate basketball for the UCLA Bruins.
Paras made the announcement late Saturday, tweeting: "I have made my decision… I'm really happy to say that I have committed to UCLA!"
UCLA, a traditional US NCAA powerhouse, made an offer to the 17-year-old Paras just last week.
In a video posted on the Middlebrooks Basketball Facebook account, Paras was asked to describe how it felt to have committed to the Bruins.
"I could touch the moon and the stars," said the 6-foot-6 guard. "It's an unbelievable feeling, especially for a kid coming from the Philippines, a place that no one even knows about that much.
"I've just been here for a couple of months… I can't explain that much. It's just a great feeling, just amazing. I'm so excited," said Paras.
ESPN rates Paras as a three-star recruit for the class of 2016. He is UCLA's second commit from his recruiting class, following point guard Lonzo Ball of Chino Hills, California.
Paras, in an interview with Ronnie Nathanielsz published on Yahoo! Sports Philippines, said he was thankful that UCLA coach Steve Alford is "willing to take a chance on me."
"I am very appreciative to all the coaches that made offers to me for their interest. While all of this is new to me, I realize that I can only go to one college, so I felt it was not necessary to continue the recruitment process with so many very good schools and coaches already at the table," said Paras.
"I see no need to seek out more offers," he added.
Paras also received offers from UC Irvine, Fresno State, Texas Arlington, Arizona State, Portland State, and Boston College, among others.